A Brief History of The Presbyterian
Church of Catasauqua
The congregation was founded in 1839 by David Thomas. He and his family were brought here from their native Wales by the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Co. for the express purpose of establishing an iron works using a “hot blast” method with anthracite, or hard coal. He successfully launched the Crane Iron Works along the Lehigh Canal and dedicated the congregation’s first church building in December, 1839 along Church Street, near Howertown Road.
The present sanctuary at Second and Pine Streets was constructed between 1854 and 1856 on land donated by David Thomas and the Crane Iron Works. Although the church was completed before the dedication service on May 11, 1856, the congregation would not worship in the new church until it was debt free. David Thomas was a generous benefactor of the congregation for many years, and donated the pipe organ in 1868, which is still in use today.
A transept, or wing, was added to the new sanctuary in 1871, to meet the needs of a growing congregation. A Christian Education building was also added that same year, which still houses our active Christian Education programs today. An addition in 1976 connected these two separate buildings, and houses our church offices, a choir room/lounge/kitchenette, and a youth lounge. The Memorial Stained Glass Windows, which were installed throughout the Twentieth Century, enhance the simple beauty of our worship space.
In 2014, we celebrated our 175th Anniversary. We are the first, and oldest, congregation in Catasauqua. Our ministry here in this community has a long history of reaching out, and our church spire has been a beacon for all those who pass this way. Christ continues to work through us, and we invite you to join us in worship and praise.
“Always be full of joy in the Lord.”